Sunday, December 30, 2012

peace

The house is so quiet I can hear the clock ticking.  I don't remember the last time I heard the clock ticking. 

The out-of-state relatives have come and gone in shifts.  Christmas is well and truly over - or it will be when the decorations come down in a few days. 

On Friday we had all of my grandparents' great-grandkids together for the first time since the newest one was born.  It was loud and hectic and exhausting.  I think my grandparents won't know what to do with their big empty house since everyone has gone and things are going back to normal.  

I'm in no hurry to eat turkey again any time soon.  I guess we'll fix black eyed peas on the first.  It's the law or something. 

4 comments:

NOLA said...

I will be having black eyed peas as well!

This is a tradition I didn't know in California though.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. It is the law. And greens. You gotta have greens of some sort. And rice. Peas for peace. Rice for riches. Greens for money.
Hahahahaha!

Petit fleur said...

Happy New Year you.
xo

Steph(anie) said...

NOLA - I inherited the tradition from my late MIL who I believe inherited from her own MIL who was from Oklahoma.

Ms. Moon - Does okra count for the greens? I'm guessing not.

PF - And you :)