Monday, October 29, 2012

I have the power

As of last Friday, I have lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks.  A normal person would be happy about that - and I am (happy that is, not normal).  But it is sobering to compare that to how much I still need to lose.  BUT THAT IS THE WRONG WAY TO THINK ABOUT IT.  So happy, yes.  20 pounds woo-hoo!!!

SparkPeople.com is fah-reaking awesome.  It's also a lot of work.  I do data entry for any food that isn't in their database already and I track EVERY FREAKING THING.  A couple days ago I stole one tortilla chip off of my kid's plate and you better believe that I tracked one twelfth of a serving of those chips.  Yes. I. Did. 

So I told my husband Dan about hitting the 20 pound mark and you know what he did?  He baked chocolate chip cookies.  Well, first he told me that I was doing a good job.  Then he baked cookies.  Bastard.  I have not eaten even one of those cookies.  I was afraid to even look at them at first.  But last night while I was cooking dinner I noticed how good they smelled.  Then the thought occurred to me that I could enjoy the smell without eating them.  So I leaned over and inhaled deeply.  They smelled pretty damn good.  And I was very proud of myself for not diving in face-first, pie eating contest style. 

So here we are.  I have had small portions of sweets occasionally; I am not completely abstinent.  Mostly fitting them into my goal calorie zone for the day (my birthday being one exception). 

And I decide when I splurge, no one else. 

7 comments:

Kristen Grimes said...

Oh my gosh, Stephanie - that is AWESOME!!! And you make a great point there - one I forget often - you decide when to splurge...nobody else. :-)

Great job and definitely appreciate 20 pounds lost regardless of what there is left to lose...it is 20 pounds closer. Good job!

Petit fleur said...

Congratulations!!!! Yes, don't look down, just keep walking forward as they say. You are kicking ARS!!

You really cracked me up with the "diving face first pie eating contest style." You are so funny the way you describe things is great. A true writer.

So yea, husbands are indeed clueless creatures most of the time. You are doing amazingly well substituting the smell for actually tasting. I'm with you, once I take that first bite, it's pretty much over... But I've been doing better portioning and stopping before I'm uncomfortably full. Stress helps! ha!

Keep up the good work. I'm happy for you.
xo m

liv said...

Congratulations!! That is a SUPER achievement in my book! My life would be completely different if I lost 20 pounds.

I've been trying to be really conscious lately of how I tend to stretch my belly past it's point of happiness and making a point to really visualize just how much food can actually fit comfortably in there - it's a step.

And I love the thought of a "smell snack" what a great idea! I'm going to go smell a chocolate bar right now!
I too am very, very happy for you :)

Ms. Moon said...

First off- MANY congratulations! That is truly an awesome achievement, Stephanie.
Secondly- Your husband has his own issues. Don't let them get in YOUR way. Seriously.

NOLA said...

That is so awesome!! Keep it up, and keep me inspired!! :)

And kick Dan in the shins. Hard. You can say it's from your girlfriend.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Hooray! 20 pounds in 7 weeks is fab!
I always make it a point to smell the bread when I go to the market. It's pretty darn satisfying. And it is guilt free.
Hang in there!

EcoCatLady said...

You go girl!!! Your story about smelling the cookies reminded me of when I was totally off sugar - trying to regulate my blood sugar to control migraines.

I kept having these dreams that I was eating chocolate, and it would be SOOO good - but then I'd remember that I wasn't supposed to be eating it and I'd wake up in a panic.

Then one night I was dreaming about eating chocolate when I suddenly realized that it was a dream, so I could eat as much as I wanted with no consequences. It totally rocked! Wish I could figure out how to do that sort of thing more often! :-)