Monday, September 24, 2012

heartbroken

I can't believe I have to write these words, but... we lost another dog this weekend.  Three of our four dogs have died in the last two months.  I just can't believe it.  I still hear her nails on the wood floor following me around and look before I get out of bed so I don't step on her. 

We had to have Bella put to sleep on Saturday.  It just killed me.  The vet reassured us that even if we had money for treatment, the prognosis wasn't good.  And that it was just a very unfortunate coincidence, her getting so sick so soon after the other two older dogs died. 

I swear, we kept them all alive for many years before this August.  I just don't know what to say. 

We are left now with only Billy, my late mother-in-law's dog.  God help that dog.

.::.

I had close to two hours alone at home yesterday afternoon and you know what I did with that time? I folded laundry and then swept and mopped.  It couldn't be helped, the floor was gross.  And the work was therapeutic. 

9 comments:

Kristen Grimes said...

Wow...can't believe Bella is gone too! :-( Your poor family...

liv said...

I can't imagine how hard this must be on you and your family right now. I'm so sorry - thinking of you.

NOLA said...

Oh, that's so hard. I'm sorry. :(

Ms. Moon said...

Oh. So hard. For people who love their dogs. (You know me- sorry.) But I know that some pets are truly loved. Hell, I've had them myself.
And work can be so therapeutic. A clean floor is a good thing, no matter what.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Oh! So sorry. I lost 1 cat and 2 dogs over a few months. So sad.

EcoCatLady said...

I am so, so sorry. It's so hard to lose them, but three so close together - I can't imagine the loss you must feel. I'm sending you a great big hug...

xoxoxo,
Cat

Friko said...

I lost Benno 4 weeks ago; I'm still howling. The only way to get over the loss of a dog is to get another one, or so I've been told.

I think I might start looking.

I feel for you.

Petit fleur said...

Im sorry Steph. It's hard enough to loose a pet, but having to try to explain something so crazy and random to children is the worst. You never quite know what's spinning around in those heads of theirs.

Keep busy. I have no real words of wisdom. Just thinking of you guys and can't wait to meet you and give you a hug. The real kind.
In the meantime, here is a virtual one ((( HUG )))
xo m

Mama D said...

So sorry...what a rotten time for your family. ;(