Tuesday, August 7, 2012

She was a good dog


Callie, the second oldest of our four dogs, died last night.  She hadn't been herself for a couple days, and we were just keeping an eye on how she was doing... she had eaten better Sunday night.  But last night (Monday) when Dan went to feed the big dogs (Callie, Dusty and Bella) Callie didn't come when she was called.  She had laid down in the shade and was gone. 

Callie was our wild one.  Always the opportunist, if a gate was open she would take off on an adventure.  She always came back though and we never had to send a search party after her.  I'm sad that she's gone but glad that she died at home, in the yard.  She was with us for 10 years.

7 comments:

liv said...

Oh, Steph. I wish I could hug you tight.
She was a beautiful, beautiful dog. If you have to go, laying down in the shade in your own yard, with your own people and dog friends is about the best I can think of.

I'll be thinking about Callie today and you and your family and sending Love and Care.

xx Liv

EcoCatLady said...

I'm so, so sorry. At least she went peacefully at home. Sending you big hugs.

xoxoxo,
Cat

Ms. Moon said...

She went as we would all want to go.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

So sorry for your loss. xoxoxo
But an easier departure than some.

Yo said...

Oh....so sorry. We lost two not long ago,or so it seems to me. I still expect to see them laying around the yard.

Petit fleur said...

I'm sorry you lost your pal... although, dying under a shade tree rocks pretty hard as far as dying goes. She done it right.

The other difficult part of a pet dying is having to try to explain to the children and see them grieve. That gets me.

Wishing you and yours peace.
xo m

janzi said...

What a perfect way to go, just lie down in the shade and breathe your last breath.. You had her for ten years, and I am sure she knew how much you all loved her.. Blessed dog friend, its hard when they go, but the love they leave behind is forever.. thinking of you, Janzi