Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The last day of five

My son, who is also sometimes my sun, was born six years ago tomorrow. Some years, his birthday falls on the solstice, or vice versa. It was very meaningful to me as his mother that such and bright and shining boy was born during the time of the greatest light.

I can honestly say that I may not have survived the last six weeks without that boy. Perhaps even these six years. Life is hard sometimes. Like HARD, man. And relationships – marriage – can slip slowly into places you never wanted them to go and then you wake up one day and wonder what the fuck happened? How did I – we – let it get this bad?

But, if you’re lucky, there is still something there worth holding on to. And if you are really REALLY lucky you will both see it and want to hold on to it. And it doesn’t hurt to have a very smart almost six-year-old there to tell you, hey Mom, Dad’s a great guy, you should be proud of him. And… hey Dad, be nice to Mom, she’s sad.

What would I do without you? Happy Birthday, big guy. I love you.

6 comments:

Kristen Grimes said...

Such a sweet post! And when the eff did he turn freaking SIX!!! Holy geez time flies...

Ms. Moon said...

Blessings. All of this.

liv said...

They're the saints, the real saints, these little ones.

Happy Birthday sunny, sonny boy!

Anonymous Jo said...

This is beautiful.

Petit fleur said...

Happy Birthday Austin! I hope that we will be out there soon and he and Harley can become Sun buddies.

Much love,
m

Angella Lister said...

That is a very special boy. Your son, who is also sometimes your sun. Beautifully said. I have a child like this. It is indeed a gift. Love to you.