Monday, April 16, 2012

You never know

I heard this song on the radio this morning (and you don't need to listen to it to keep reading... frankly, not my favorite Wilco song, but...)

I had a thought about the way people are so obsessed with The End of the World. It is nigh! And it occurred to me that I think this is because [some] people cannot fathom the idea of the world existing after they are gone. Not that the world itself depends on them to continue, necessarily, but that they can't (on some subconscious level, perhaps) stand the thought of all the things that they will miss... the people of the future enjoying new advancements, pains and pleasures and never even knowing that we, as individuals, existed... not caring that we existed for that matter. I think it's all about fear of death and lack of a legacy.

What say you?

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That's as good an explanation as I've ever heard.

Demandra said...

Agreed. I also think some folks assume that a decrease in affluence=the end! The peak oil folks seem to think that if we can't exist as we are (drowning in stuff), we'll all somehow die. So odd.

Petit fleur said...

Yea, when I was a youngster my dad was really ill and I thought about death alot.

I came up with this theory that the fear of death is why people do most things. To avoid thinking about it etc... so I'm in! I have not thought about that in a while, but I think you are on to something.
xo