Sunday, April 29, 2012

please learn from my mistake

... or, the least efficient way to clean a kitchen floor ever. 

Okay you guys, I am no genius, but I'm not an idiot either.  I am a grown-up of moderate intelligence. 

But.  I occasionally do fairly stupid things. 

This weekend I needed to run the dishwasher.  This is not unusual.  I happened to be out of dishwasher detergent.  This also happens from time to time.  I had the bright idea to try using dish soap in the dishwasher.  You know, the stuff you use to hand wash dishes in the sink.  I poured some dish soap into the detergent holder thingie in the dishwasher.  As I poured, I had the distinct thought that I was perhaps putting in too much, but charged ahead anyway.

The dishwasher started doing its job as usual and I left the kitchen.  Maybe 20 minutes later, I returned to get something from the kitchen and discovered a pool of sudsy water on the kitchen floor and, somehow, on the other side of the wall in the dining room.  This is when I started yelling for Maya to bring all the dirty gently used towels I knew she was hoarding in her bedroom. 

Here I will take pause to tell you a side story.  Two days prior, my grandmother had discovered a small pool of water emerging from under her dishwasher which was assumed to be busted.  Then on the same day as my dishwasher incident, water was discovered leaking out of the electrical outlet above the dishwasher and onto the kitchen counter [of my grandparents' house].  It was quickly surmised that the problem was not with the dishwasher after all, but with a water pipe in the wall.  My parents were dispatched to coordinate hiring plumbers and had been up to their necks in turned off water and holes in drywall for an entire afternoon and evening before my mother called me to let me know they would not be heading home that night after all and I told her, "you're not going to believe this."

Thankfully in my case, there was no leaky pipe to blame.  No faulty appliance either.  Just my own poor judgement.  So, be ye warned.  Do not use sink type dish soap in your dishwasher.  If you must, just use a little bit.  And let me know how much is appropriate. 

.::.

Meanwhile, the pipe has been repaired at my grandparents' house and the drywall will be patched up within the week.  All is well.

7 comments:

EcoCatLady said...

Oh NOOOOO!

In college I shared an apartment with a Latvian exchange student who made the same mistake that you did. Only I think she must have used more. I came home to find a dishwasher literally "frothing at the mouth" and 2 feet of bubbles all over the kitchen floor. It sort of looked like something out of "I Love Lucy!"

Anyhow, I think you're not supposed to use anything that makes bubbles in an automatic dishwasher.

Kelly said...

Sorry you had such a mess to clean up but it made for a funny story. Thanks for the chuckle! : )

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

I am convinced that appliances are plotting against us. All they need is an opportunity.
Never start any appliance just as you are leaving the house.
So glad it turned out okay.

Steph(anie) said...

Cat - Your comment, especially the bit about 'anything that makes bubbles' made me laugh about this for the first time. Not that it's a tragedy or anything, just that I dove straight into cleaning up and chastising myself. It's good to laugh.

Kelly - Welcome and now you are laughing *with* me not *at* me. :)

Denise - I am so so SO glad the machine itself was not to blame, but now that I have typed that I have certainly cursed myself.

Petit fleur said...

Yikes!

Angella Lister said...

haha, i did this myself many years ago. as soon as you started, i knew what was going to happen. in your defense, and mine, it seems so....logical.

Mel said...

Oh noooo, we did this last year! Husband and I both thought it might make a few suds, but we had no idea, it was hilarious. We used only a little bit still and suds were everywhere. But the floor was sparkly, right? You have to laugh.