Saturday, April 7, 2012

one of the best things we've ever done

I am a total slacker and still haven't downloaded any photos from this past week. Mostly this is because we were all using different cameras/phones and I'm certain the best of the pictures are not on my phone. Anyway...

Wednesday we went to Knott's Berry Farm. Knott's is a place that my mom and I went to a lot when I was a kid. Mom was a school teacher [before she retired] so we had summers off together. I was an only child and she was a single mother and we have always been good companions, she and I. So when I decided we should break our Disneyland habit of the last few years and finally take the kids to Knott's instead, I thought it would be great if my mom and stepdad would go with us.

The six of us went and had a fabulous time. I am so so SO glad we went. It was such a nice combination of reliving good memories and making new ones with my kids. We even had dinner at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaraunt which is where my grandparents had their wedding night dinner in October 1947 and the whole extended gaggle of grandkids/parents/cousins/great-grandkids had their 60th anniversary dinner four and a half years ago.

We got season tickets which means we can go again. I doubt we will manage to go as a group of six very often, but we could also go in smaller groups... me and the kids, me and Dan, my parents on their own or with the kids... etc. I really look forward to going again. I may have to go again just for the boysenberry punch. Mr. Knott actually invented the boysenberry... a cross between the red raspberry, blackberry and loganberry. That's some good shit.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

And Steve Martin got his start there!
Glad you had a good time!

Kristen said...

:-)

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Invented the boysenberry?!!! Thanks for the history lesson. Yum.
And that's some neat family continuity!