Monday, April 23, 2012

luck and mercy

On Saturday I tried twice to post about a quick trip I took on Friday.  But due to a combination of stupid blogger's new format and my stupid laptop's hyper-sensitive track pad, I lost both attempts.  If you just barely brush my track pad, it clicks so your cursor may end up outside of the text editing area, and then if you aren't paying attention and hit backspace to correct an error, the browser instead goes back a page and blogger hasn't auto-saved your draft and you, my dear blogger, are hosed.  Again.

So.  Friday.  I flew up to San Jose in the wee hours of the morning, the sun just beginning to rise as we taxied down the runway.  When I left the house at 4 AM, I tried several times to use the windshield wipers to clear the windshield before I realized that the reason I couldn't see was because I didn't have my glasses on.  I turned the car around and got them.  After getting through security and exchanging money for caffeine, I sat down to realize that I didn't have my driver's license.   Just before panic set it in, I heard my name over the PA system.  Someone had found my license and turned it in.  Thank you, unknown soul, you saved me a heaping helping of inconvenience.

I attended the second day of a two-day conference in the Silicon Valley.  Everywhere I went up there had excellent public toilets and both the college that hosted the conference and the airport had meditation rooms.  So this is how the other half lives. 

Flew back south the same day, landing exactly 12 hours after I took off.  Waited at baggage claim with a woman using crutches to help her with her bag, not consciously doing so, but effectively paying forward the favor of my returned license. 

Slept like the dead Friday night and half of Saturday.  Then Sunday took off to a car show outside of Knott's Berry Farm followed by a very enjoyable few hours in the park with the kids and my parents.  Dan stayed home as he had back-to-back gigs doing audio tech for a local band.  Saturday had been miserably hot, so I was worried about being outside all day on Sunday, but Sunday turned out to be ridiculously pleasant, overcast and cool nearly all day. 

There is an old one-room schoolhouse at Knott's.  Inside there are old-fashioned desks with chalkboards.  They sell copies of old school rules which claim that boys and girls caught playing during school would receive three lashes.  Austin LOVED that schoolhouse.  He says that is his new school.  He sat at one of the desks, posture just so, and said, "good morning, teacher."  Without missing a beat the "teacher" corrected him, "it's afternoon."

3 comments:

liv said...

ohhhh, that made me laugh "I realized I didn't have my glasses on"...aren't your glasses ones that you wear all the time? funny!

Sounds like a lovely weekend with a bit of kindness thrown in to show you that it still works. Sometimes I wonder, but that must have felt so good to hear over the PA system that someone else was plugged in too.

Ms. Moon said...

Sometimes. Sometimes...

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Why is new construed to be better?
I often think of alarm clocks. I used to turn the stem to set the alarm and then pull out another stem to activate the alarm.
Now I choose "alarm" from a drop down menu, then select "new", then "set time," then I have to set the time which requires 3 separate moves to set the hour, the minutes and "a.m." or "p.m." And it's all f***** if I forget to press "save."
Genius? No.