Tuesday, January 10, 2012

subconscious inspiration

Sometimes an idea will smack me the in face and suddenly I feel like a moron because it hadn't occurred to me sooner. I got to thinking about peacocks for some reason. They have this almost abrasive sounding call, but I find it somehow comforting, having lived near them off and on for so long. (This is what comes of living in semi-rural areas with crazy people as neighbors... who on earth thinks a peacock is a good pet? Besides me I mean. I would love one, or four, but the practical side of me just can't reconcile it.)

Anyway, it finally smacked me in the face. The beautiful teal of the feathers on their body. That majestic tail on display. And I look around my house at my use of teal and indigo and green and purple, and did I mention blue? Complimented sometimes with earthtones. My love affair with paisleys and mandalas (and so many things Indian). There might just be something to that...

See the rest of this image here.

7 comments:

EcoCatLady said...

Very cool. Do they have peacocks in India?

Ms. Moon said...

Damn. Makes sense to me. I, too, love that color palette. But I don't want a peacock. Their poop is as big as dog poop.

Steph(anie) said...

ECL - I believe they are the national bird of India.

MM - A good thing to keep in mind :) I wonder if you can eat their eggs.

Petit fleur said...

What a Jungian discovery.

Cool.

The colors are among my faves also. I especially like the iridescent-ness of the peacock feathers.

Cheers!

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Bee-u-ti-ful! All of it. Yay for inspiration.

Elizabeth said...

Well, of course! I just read a book -- a novel based on the life of Flannery O'Connor, the great writer from Georgia. She had lots of peacocks, and they figure into her weird and wonderful history as a writer. It's called A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Hard-Look-Novel/dp/1594202923

Bobbie Leigh said...

There used to be a house I would drive by on my way to work in the mornings that would have Peacock’s just hanging out in the yard. It was very random; it’s not something you see in Michigan outside of the Zoo. I was amazed that they never wondered off- but they were beautiful!