Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dive!

For my bloggy friends who like documentaries, or those who have food... issues, or environmental concerns, I caught this one on Netflix and it is very interesting: Dive! Living Off America's Waste.

These dudes do amazing stuff with food fished out of dumpsters behind markets (stores toss stuff the day before the 'expiration' date). The film explores the amount of waste in the food industry in the U.S., from farm to table, and compares that to the number of people in the U.S. (and the world) who are going hungry. Lots to think about.

Seriously, if I could get perfectly good bananas for free and keep them from going to a landfill to rot, I'd put some rubber boots on and hop in*. But the dumpsters in my quiet little town are locked up tight. We've talked about my banana addiction before, right?

*Spoiler Alert: The moral of the story (in the film) is not ultimately an endorsement of dumpster diving, but rather an example of what volunteers and food banks can do when there are people willing to do the work that needs to be done -- skipping the dumpsters altogether by working with local stores to get the food to the food banks and on to the people who need it.

4 comments:

NOLA said...

Oh, I like it! Like your summing up of the moral.

Right after I graduated from college I worked at a farm outside Eugene. We had gleaners who would come and pick through all the produce we'd tossed to take what they wanted. The best days for me were non-gleaner days when *I* would go through the tossed food and take home an overflowing box. We ate very, very well that year, and my friend Amy and I are world-class scavengers, though we're usually more likely to climb trees than into a dumpster. (OK, she climbs trees. I cheer her on and keep watch.)

Petit fleur said...

I've always hated the rules in this industry and thought they were adding to the problem. One of my many armchair warrior rants. I'm glad there are people out there that are actually getting out of their chairs!

I will watch.
xo

Bobbie Leigh said...

Netflix has some amazing documentaries. I watched one called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It's about an Aussie who needs to lose weight due to health problems and he focuses on eating only juiced fruits and veggies. It really makes you think about what you are putting into your body- I started making green shakes because of it. The documentary also addresses all the crap that's put into regular and processed foods.

Steph(anie) said...

BL - I saw that title/descripton too. I thought it sounded pretty depressing, but I should watch it.