Friday, December 16, 2011

I had to choose between buying crap and keeping my sanity

I went down the road apiece to the closest town that has a mall. I didn't go into the mall itself, mind you, just around the outskirts of it. I had ordered something online for my mother that arrived chipped and I panicked and set out on a mission to find a replacement gift... and inadvertently remind myself why I do the lion's share of my Christmas shopping online to begin with. I was debating whether I liked anything well enough to wait the gawd awful line in Cost Plus World Market when I heard a couple arguing about whether some piece of junk would be better for the dinette or the dining room and I decided I'd rather kill myself.

So I may just take some paint to the chip and call it good.

6 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

We totally quit getting presents for each other last year. The whole family. Everyone's on board. We are enjoying everything so much better now.

Ms. Moon said...

I feel your pain.

All This Trouble... said...

We only buy Santa gifts for our kids. Everyone else gets a homemade gift or goodies.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Ugh. A mall at Christmastime--even the outskirts of a mall would probably do me in.
Um, maybe you could chip it a little more for a sort of distressed antique-y look?

Demandra said...

I went to the Cost Plus for some Scottish crap for my husband. I had a list of two items. I came out with 5 bottles of wine (not on the list). I should have followed your lead.

NOLA said...

Ha! Totally get it! Except that I would externalize my anger and flatten those dinette/dining room arguers, and walk out with 5 bottles of wine myself. :)