Thursday, December 29, 2011

handcrafted gift

Cat doll, made for my cousin's 3-year-old daughter. Scrap fabric, some from an embroidered shirt that had to be retired. I was looking on Etsy for handmade fabric dolls and found some great ones, but I just couldn't fight the feeling that I could make one myself. Even though it's been a long, long time since I made anything like this.

Paw detail. Same fabric that made up the permanent "dress"

She knew right away that it was a cat (she likes cats). I was glad of that; I was worried it looked a little like a pig.

The face is my least favorite part, but I'm out of practice and didn't want to take on more than I could handle by trying to embroider or paint the face, so I just used buttons. It is what it is. The ears are the corners from the shirt collar. I do think that was pretty clever of me :)

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I think so too Steph! How adorable!!! Great job!

Petit fleur said...

I love cat doll!! And she is HUGE! The first picture it looked just like a regular size, but when held by the wee one, you can clearly see that they are about the same size!

It's darling.

I'll take 2! ;-p
xo

Steph(anie) said...

Well, thank you, Bethany.

PF, it's a bit of both. It's a good sized doll, but she is a pretty dainty little girl. And just the cutest little thing, and well behaved. I may have to steal her.

All This Trouble... said...

I love it! LOVE IT!

Kristen said...

So cute, Steph!! You are craftier than I sistah-friend! :-)