Tuesday, November 22, 2011

house updates: dining room

The dining room is cleaner than it's been in at least five months (Austin's birthday in June). This is where I had some covered wire shelves for a pantry, but my mom called them 'less than attractive' and I couldn't look at them anymore. Thanks, Mom. Hahaha.

That Tree of Life wall hanging is from Urban Outfitters (click through for a better look at the color). You can find Tree of Life tapestries just about anywhere that sells that type of thing (hippie crap), but I really liked the color of the blue one from UO, it looks like twilight. And oooh, look at my pretty table :)

In the corner I combined two of my favorite things, vintage glass (my Arrowhead water bottle) and string lights (stuffed inside the bottle) for an accent light.

It gives a nice soft glow, and the imperfections in the glass almost make the lights look like they're moving or twinkling.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Bee-U-Tiful!!!

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Love the lights in a bottle! I'm doin' that!

Steph(anie) said...

K - Danke

DEC - You can buy mason jars with 'firefly' lights in them, but I liked my home brewed version better.

Ms. Moon said...

Lights in a bottle...spectacular.

Steph(anie) said...

Makes me think of that Jim Croce song. Oh wait, that was Time in a Bottle. Never mind.

Best WV evah: feckno

All This Trouble... said...

I dig it all.

Petit fleur said...

I love the bottle stuffed with lights! What a great idea.... I wish I had a bottle.

Your whole living room looks very inviting.

Happy Holiday.
xo

Elizabeth said...

I just saw a post on DesignMom about lights in a bottle, but you had to drill a hole in the bottle. Did you do that? She also painted the bottom 1/3rd or so with gold paint that gave it a cool glow, but yours look gorgeous just like that!

I've never heard of the Tree of Life, but I love it!

Steph(anie) said...

ATT - We is two funky chicks.

PF - Being the collector I am, I set out looking for another bottle like that and realized that I got a very good price on it. The ones on Etsy are kinda pricey, plus there's shipping. Yikes.

E - No, I don't want to drill a hole in it. The cord comes out the neck of the bottle. I tied it down so it would stay low profile.

Maggie May said...

I love the lights!!

Steph(anie) said...

As a follow up to Elizabeth's comment, here's the designmom post, which I had never read before but was good: http://www.designmom.com/2010/11/diy-bottles-full-of-light/

MM - I have string lights all over the house in different ways. They make good mood lighting. :)