Monday, November 21, 2011

he says the other guy won

My grandpa fell in his garage. Was it a week ago? I don't remember. He was trying to do something out there and ended up smack down on the concrete. His arm and face were very swollen and he is still very bruised. It's heartbreaking to see him like that. In fact, I did a very good job of not seeing him. I am such a chickenshit. I only just saw him last night. I hear from my mom and grandma that he looks "much better!" I can only imagine what that says about how bad he looked a few days ago. He was incredibly lucky to not break any bones or do any permanent damage to his eye which was swollen shut the first couple days.

I've written some before about the fact that my grandpa was the closest thing I had to a father for most of my life. My dad was gone (left, not dead) before I was a year old and my mom didn't remarry until I was 16. She and I spent a few years in the middle of that time living with my grandparents and it was a very happy time for me. I love them both so much.

I laid awake in the wee hours this morning composing a letter to my grandpa in my head. I wanted to thank him for being a father to me and for just being himself and teaching me so much about responsibility and faithfulness. But when I got up this morning, it seemed silly to write it all down. I wish now that I had gotten up and written it in the middle of the night. I think I still will write it. I need to.

5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Write it. It will only bring happiness to him and a sense of rightness to you.

Kristen said...

This actually brings a tear to my eye. Like you, my grandpa was the closest thing I had to a father. We didn't live *with* them, but we lived next door to them from the time I was 8 on.

My grandpa was one of the most selfless people I have ever known and he sacrificed so much for those around him.

He passed away quite some time ago and I still miss him. I never really got the chance to say all the thanks that he deserved.

It's not silly to write it down...you definitely should. :-) I wish I had...even though I know that he KNOWS how much he meant, I wish I had told him.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Yes, do write it. Write love.

Melinda said...

I'm on the write it bandwagon as well.

Definitely.
xo

Steph(anie) said...

Gosh, nobody said DON'T write it :)

I did, just have to put it in the mail today.