Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bummer, man

I try to not blog about work. I succeed most of the time. But this one is weighing on me.

My employer has a small handful of locations where we do our business (educating the local masses). And for the last three and a half years I have been fortunate enough to work at the location that is just under four miles from my house. What a blessing it has been! But yesterday I found out that a plan that had been tentative for some time is now for sure. I am being moved back to the campus that is about 25 miles away.

I know this isn't the end of the world. I am grateful to have a job at all. And it is a very good job with good people and benefits and so much more. Really.

But I do not relish the idea of spending more money on gas and giving up an hour of my day every day driving back and forth. So I am pouting. I am mourning the loss of the convenience of having home and work so close together.

If I were to look for and name a silver lining or two to this development, one would be that the time I will have in the car will likely be the only quiet, alone time I will have on any regular sort of basis. Another is that I will see some good people at that other location that I haven't seen much of these last few years.

But I'm still pouting. For now.

3 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Sorry to hear this, Steph. I, too, live about 5 minutes from work, and it really is a beautiful thing.

It stinks.

Love,

SB

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

Driving can definitely suck.
But quuiet time for a mother of young children is priceless.
Hope the tally ends up on the positive side. Wishing you luck.

Petit fleur said...

Adjustments are initially really hard for me, especially if I have to make them according to someone else's time table.

Books on tape! You can get a lot of reading/research or whatever done.

Meantime hang in,
pf