Thursday, October 6, 2011

Less Than Stellar Moments in Parenting #5042

After his swimming lesson tonight, Austin wanted to stay for a few minutes and watch the next, more advanced class. I told him no, I left the lasagna cooking in the oven and I wanted to get home before the house burned down.

Brilliant, right?

He spent the entire ride home (a very long five minutes in this case) freaking out that our house had burned down and we would have to build a new one. I apologized and told him that I never should have said that, I just wanted to get home because the lasagna was in the oven. The house was fine I said over and over again. And of course it was. We got home and he said, "There's our home. Our home is fine."

The house is fine but mama is a dolt.

4 comments:

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

The things they choose to really hear are not always the ones of our choosing.

Petit fleur said...

He sounds like he is in a similar stage as Harley... Everything is quite literal unless preempted... as in now we are telling jokes. Forget about sarcasm, he doesn't get that at all.

Harley also went through a fear of fire phase. It went on for a few weeks or so due to some experiment he saw at a chemistry demonstration.

You are so funny! So it Austin. I love that kid.
xo

Ms. Moon said...

Oh Lord. Poor baby boy. Poor mama. Don't be so hard on yourself though. You certainly didn't mean to scare the child. He just doesn't understand a "figure of speech."

Kristen said...

Is it bad that I'm laughing about this???? :-)