Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I need some cheese to go with this whine

I'm wearing all black today, to mourn my lost youth.

Not really. I mean, I am wearing black, but it's just what was clean. And most of what I wear is black.

It's my birthday. 34.

My parents are right now on their way to the airport to visit my stepdad's family in Kansas. When she was planning the trip, my mom told me she wanted to wait until after my birthday to leave. But I told her no, do what you have to do, Tuesday is a cheap day to fly. And I meant it, at the time. Now I will confess that my inner child is pouting a bit that my mama is leaving on my birthday. That added to the fact that Dan is so busy all month with all that Halloween bidness means I'm having to work pretty at not having a little pity party over here by myself.

I'm a big girl. I can do it.

.::.

Austin's been working on a pretty hairy cold for the last 12 days and last night he did that thing where all the mucus and crud hits your stomache and he threw up his whole dinner all over the dining room. I may never eat another tuna sandwich. So I was cleaning up and trying to keep the stupid dog from eating what Austin had just uneaten. I moved the table and cleaned the floor. Then when I was moving the table back, a water glass fell off the table and broke all to bits (I realized at this point that I should have taken the glass to the kitchen before moving the table, but I'm lazy) and I had to move the table aside again and I swept and swept and swept and still didn't get all the damn glass up. I got a piece in my foot this morning.

Fuck it.

.::.

It's not really that bad. I've been sort of happy this week in spite of myself. Probably because I haven't been eating so much crap. I hate to write about that though because I always jinx myself. In fact I'm having to fight the urge to celebrate today with Mtn Dew because as much as I love it, I know it will make me feel like shit.

Somebody at work sent me this Debbie Downer clip from SNL. They know me too well! Hahahaha

13 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

Ooooooh me, oh my. I wish I had more sympathy but I'm so old (soon to be 37)I can't keep up with it.

Glass in the foot f-ing sucks.

Zoe had a terrible night this week too. I'm still washing linens.

Try to keep it between the ditches. Happy Birthday. Woot!

Steph(anie) said...

Ooooooh, you ARE old. I feel better already, thanks. ;)

Poor Zoe.

Ms. Moon said...

I find the even-numbered birthdays to suck more than the odd-numbered ones. I do not know why. It's just a theory. BUT, here I am wishing you a happy birthday here (as opposed to on the Evil FB) and I mean it and I hope that no one pukes tonight.
Love...Mary
P.S. I have children older than you. Consider that.

Steph(anie) said...

Thank you (again) Ms. Moon. Time sure does fly.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Happy Birthday! And I also move tables with glasses stil on them, just keeping my fingers crossed they don't topple!

Steph(anie) said...

Thank you, Megan. Did you come here by way of Ms. Moon's? If not, you need to check it out!

Petit fleur said...

Happy Birthday Steph!

Sorry bout the sick boy, puke, broken glass and no momma on your b day. that all sucks. It does make for good story telling though, so there is that.

Seriously, I hope you celebrated your bad ass self in some way this birthday... you deserve it, and more.
xo PS MT. Dew is way toxic... Not for nothing, because I am a smoker, but there is something about the citric flavor thing that I understand is just horrid in some way. Not sure the details or why Just thought you should know, lest you are moved to research.
xo

Steph(anie) said...

PF - Thank you. And I am sure without a doubt that Mtn Dew is all kinds of bad for me. I'm just now, after 15 years, getting to the point where I don't enjoy it as much and it's easier to say no.

Tonight was nice we went out to dinner and had a good time.

Denise Emanuel Clemen said...

I'm pretty sure wine is better for you than Mountain Dew. I'm gonna be 59 next month, so that's scientific proof, huh? I think I've only had 1 Mountain Dew in my life.
Glad you got a nice dinner where nothin' broke and nobody puked. (You can tell you're in the midst of motherhood when those are the parameters.)

Steph(anie) said...

DEC, I am SURE you are right about the wine. And you are also right about what makes a good dinner with kids.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Steph,
Happy belated birthday! I hope you managed to have a decent day.

I love you.

SB

Steph(anie) said...

SB, I miss you. Take care of yourself, okay?

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I'll still be in touch and blogging occasionally. I miss you, too. You are very dear to me.