Saturday, October 15, 2011

I may have veered too quickly into psycho-bitch territory

This post is a follow-up to Thursday's. I had received a phone message from my dad who I had not heard from in something like 11 years. The message went approximately like this:

Hi Stephanie. This is Jim. Jim [last name omitted]. My work cell phone number is [number omitted]. I usually have that phone with me. My personal cell phone is [number omitted]. I hope I have the right Stephanie.

There was no mention of whether there was some important issue he needed to tell me about, or whether he just wanted to catch up. I had no desire to actually talk to him, but I did wonder what was going on, so I messaged him on facebook. Three days later, he responded. I was a little bit baffled at the brevity of his response and my reply in turn stopped just short of go fuck yourself.

......

Stephanie

I got your voicemail. I can't talk right now, but I wondered why you called. Is everything okay?

......

Jim

Nice photo. Hope all is well.

......

Stephanie

Are you kidding me? We haven't talked in years, you call me out of the blue and that's all you have to say? Is your mom still alive? Are you and [name omitted] still married?

I'm fine. My family is fine. Mom's parents are starting to have a hard time doing things on their own.

That's about it really. To be honest, I don't want to talk to you.

Take care.


......

3 comments:

Petit fleur said...

Um, I don't know Steph. Your response sounds sane me. I mean, where the hell does he get off?

I understand why you would react that way. Your instincts are good and you have children to think of now, and his toying with your emotions is not good for you or them. Good on ya.

I'm just sorry that it's happening this way. You deserve so much better.

Peace,
m

Ms. Moon said...

You do deserve better. Cut him loose.

Elizabeth said...

Yikes.

Go with your instincts and the fine advice of Ms. Moon.