Wednesday, September 7, 2011

lingering summer

This is the longest strawberry season in the history of California.

Actually, I have no idea if that’s true, but it is a longer season than any I can remember. It’s like an embarrassment of riches. The red treasures just keep coming. And it’s September! Sometimes they peter out by late July. And the stand we go to opened the first of March. So if they stay open through this month, that’s seven months! Holy crap, that’s awesome!

.::.

I think I’ve been afraid to say anything here, lest I jinx it, but Austin is in swimming lessons and LOVES it. I was worried because we tried T-ball earlier this year and he just wasn’t having it. No, no and no. It was a real exercise in not being able to make your kid like something they just don’t like.

But the water. This boy loves the water. The pool at the gym is huge and very chloriney (spell checker says that’s not a word, but I disagree). He’s still working out the kinks of doing “big arms” and “kick kick kick” at the same time, but he’s getting a little better every lesson and it’s such a joy to watch.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Strawberries ARE richness. So is watching your son learn to do something he loves.

Petit fleur said...

Yay for berries!

Yay for Austin!

Yay for you!