Monday, September 26, 2011

everything I need to know I learned from watching cartoons

I've written before about how much I like the cartoon Spongebob Squarepants. Folks might assume that I like the show for the title character, and I do -- he's terrific, but that's only part of it.

To be honest, I watch it just as much for Squidward Tentacles. For those of you who don't watch the show, Squidward is a miserable, cranky, self-absorbed, sarcastic pain in the ass. And sometimes the things he says sound a lot like... me.

I can't help but laugh at how miserable he sounds. How much he doesn't want to be around the people who care about him. Spongebob really does want to spend time with Squidward, but Squidward finds Spongebob incredibly annoying. And this somehow both endears me to Squidward (or is it endears Squidward to me?) and makes me want to be more like Spongebob.

I watch the show and think to myself, crap, I sound like that miserable SOB... I would be a much happier person if I were more like the #1 Goofy Goober.

.::.

In the next episode of Stephanie Likes Cartoons Too Much, we'll learn about how my parenting philosophy is summed up in four lines of dialogue from Finding Nemo.

Screw it, here are the lines:

Marlin: I promised I'd never let anything happen to him.
Dory: Hmm. That's a funny thing to promise.
Marlin: What?
Dory: Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo.

...

This bit is good too:

Marlin: How do you know if they're ready?
Crush: Well, you never really know, but when they know, you know, y'know?

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Love it!! I have actually learned probably most of the important things from cartoons! :-) Good stuff, Steph!

Maggie May said...

Lola is obsessed!

Petit fleur said...

I adore Nemoisms!!! Those are words to live by.

I have to admit though, I've never actually watched Spongebob, but I do like the name Squidward. That's classic.

I love the Kipper and Spot cartoons because everyone is just so nice to everyone and polite and everything moves slowly.

Great post.

Angella Lister said...

words to live by!

and that second Nemo quote? as the mother of one kid in college and another applying, i would say crush got it exactly right.

parenting is such an inexact science. so is life for that matter.

Steph(anie) said...

PF - I would say wait about 2 more years before exposing Harley to Spongebob, if you can.

Elizabeth said...

Great post. I happen to despise cartoons, but I do love Spongebob. Always have.