Monday, August 8, 2011

the time is nigh, bunnies

I've been half jokingly threatening to eat the hundreds of wild rabbits in my yard for years now. But gradually the possibility of it has become more and more realistic and less of a joke. Financial markets crumble. Green, sustainable living becomes more and more a priority. Why not take advantage of free, lean, local protein and live more off the land?

One thing that tipped me just a little closer toward butchering Thumper was reading Dooce the other day. (Dooce was NOT talking about killing innocent, precious animals.) She was talking about being on the Paleo Diet and I found a list of recommended foods and foods to avoid when following the Paleo Diet. Right there, in the recommended foods list, was rabbit. Huh.

Now, I'm not whole hog in favor of the Paleo Diet. Any diet that lists pinto beans as a food to avoid when pinto beans are an excellent source of fiber and provide pretty well rounded nutrition and grow on a plant... any diet that says you should avoid pinto beans (and all other beans) should be regarded with serious skepticism, in my opinion. There are many good things about the Paleo Diet, I think, but I would never personally observe it exclusively. But I digress.

Back to the rabbits... just the other day I bought a Rose of Sharon for the garden partly because the tag on it said "deer resistant." I thought maybe, just maybe, deer resistant might also be rabbit and squirrel resistant. I was wrong. Very very wrong. Every leaf, every blossom, gone in less than 24 hours*. And that was WITH a wire cage around it to protect it. In my head I kept replaying that scene from Bambi when Thumper would eat the flower and his mama would scold him for leaving the greens. If only.

Then today, Dan emailed me a wikihow page about killing and cleaning wild rabbits for food. (That link should be followed with extreme caution; there are photos.)

Thumper is gonna be Dinner. Not tonight, but soon.

He looks so innocent, doesn't he?

*Yes, I do realize that in eating my plants these critters are only doing what they have to do to survive a long, hot, dry summer. Still, in my yard, they are fair game.

13 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

SADS.

Steph(anie) said...

This from the woman that wanted a photo of the chihuahua head I found in my backyard. Killed no doubt by a hawk in my backyard. Circle of Life, baby.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I love you. That SO made me laugh. I didn't kill the damn chihuahua though. Clearly, you have more balls than I do.

Steph(anie) said...

Oh, please. I'm gonna make Dan do the dirty work. :)

Love you, too.

Petit fleur said...

My sister says that any critter that wanders into her territory suffers the consequences. I am that way about roaches, although I would not eat them!

Did you ever see Bambi vs Godzilla? Pretty funny!

Good luck. I'm sorry the critters are not nibbling respectfully. Keep us in the loop. I want to know if bunny tastes like chicken too! hee hee!
xo

Steph(anie) said...

I'm guessing roaches are a good source of protein too. We're talking about insects, right? Not MJ butts... I think I would try crickets...

I'll check out Bambi vs Godzilla.

Ms. Moon said...

First off, the Paleo diet? What a load of crap. I did know one woman who did it and she lost a ton of weight and then she gained it back and then she got colon cancer. Not saying she got the cancer due to the diet but...
Anyway, why the hell not eat bunnies? I would if someone killed and prepared the meat for me. I sure would. I eat Bambi, why not Thumper?

Steph(anie) said...

I think the Paleo Diet is an interesting idea, but it cracks me up... it tells you to stay away from brown rice, quinoa, and beans and stick to foods that were more common before we were farmers, but then recommends bottled water... uh, yeah. Cavemen totally drank bottled water.

I tend to assume that the idea of eating rabbits will freak people out for one of two reasons. One, they're cute, and we don't like to eat cute animals. Two, they assume they will be dirty with fleas and ticks and whatnot. My husband is in the latter camp but I'm wearing him down.

Steph(anie) said...

What I think is good about the Paleo Diet: avoiding processed foods

That may be about it.

Mwa said...

I say eat the bunnies! I love to eat rabbit and it's completely normal over here. I'd be happy to send you some Flemish recipes if you like. I'm sure wild rabbits are much healthier to eat than farmed cows or pigs anyway. Cows, sheep and horses are cute too but we eat them, right? (I put the horse thing in just to be difficult. We do eat them here, but I realise it's not normal everywhere.)

Steph(anie) said...

In the states, horse meat is usually associated with dog food. But the beef dog treats I buy smell good enough to eat...

From what I've learned about wild rabbits, we need to wait until the weather cools a bit to start hunting. They are more full of disease in the height of summer, probably due to dehydration... course in my yard they aren't that dehydrated because they have my lovely lawn to eat every day.

Steph(anie) said...

And I would be very glad to get some Flemish recipes! Thank you :)

Kristen said...

bwahahahaha! Mmmm...tasty rabbit!