Sunday, August 14, 2011

on being pried out of my shell

We ended up with a houseful and backyard full of people yesterday. A man that Dan may end up doing some work with is a singer and musician and he and his people used our backyard to practice while Dan ran the mixing board. There were calls from neighbors to quiet down.

Along with the people playing came some of their family members. I didn't know that that was the plan before hand, I thought it was just practice. When I learned that it was turning into a mini party I went into a sort of panicky anxiety. I wasn't emotionally prepared to be friendly with people I didn't know and I didn't have any food to put out. I pretty much freaked out for a bit, but managed to get it together and go to the store for some fixin's.

One of the people here was the mother of the man mentioned above. She is an old Italian mama and she is a riot. I ended up being so glad to meet her and glad to have people over after all. This is a woman who still cries about her daughter's divorce somewhere around 20 years ago, but when talking about family members that had pissed her off, said "fuck them, I don't give a shit." At one point, when one of the musicians outside switched from a saxophone to a flute, I asked his wife what all he played and she said, "anything he can blow on." I said, "lucky you." Then the Italian mama said, "oh, she blows on him too, believe me." I haven't laughed so hard in months.

5 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

I love it when this happens!

Ms. Moon said...

That is so awesome.

Petit fleur said...

Good for you for going with it and having a great time!

Yea, we old Italian women can be hilarious in our crusty ass way. hee hee! The only problem I have is that while I am crusty, I don't have the funny part down so much.

Glad Dan is feeling better too. yay!
xo

Mwa said...

Sounds like a great time.

Angella Lister said...

wonderful!