Monday, August 29, 2011

love thyself

Blogging is hard sometimes. Not hard like digging ditches, just… it’s so damn public. But it is an amazing vehicle for making actual personal connections. Well look at that, I think to myself, that person over there 3000 miles away from where I sit now had this experience that I can relate to and I find some peace in their resolution. That is just such a... reliefinspirationjoy.
My oldest child is of an age where she is very curious about the – ahempleasures of the body. She is exploring this curiosity on her own (for now, anyway, thank god) with great confidence and abandon. Like, she could teach lessons at conferences. There must be conferences about that sort of thing somewhere in the world.
Anyway, I find myself as a parent walking a bit of a tightrope. I respect her curiosity and desire as a normal part of growing up. Meanwhile, I’m freaking out in the corner willing her to STOP GROWING THE FUCK UP ALREADY.
And then there is the not so small issue of her specialness. Her particular brand of specialness has been rebranded from MR to Intellectually Disabled. No joke.
Words and people, people and words. Sigh.
And one of the areas where the Intellectually Disabled are often really and truly disabled is that of an awareness of when and where a particular activity might or might not be appropriate.
Well, that’s enough of being cryptic for today. Feel free to tell me if I’ve crossed the line and should delete this. I really don’t know right now.

5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I can't see any lines you crossed but you know me.

Petit fleur said...

I think it's fine. Not sure I have anything useful to say to help, but it all makes perfect sense to me.

Deep breaths! Serenity now??
xo

All This Trouble... said...

Zoe's five and can't stop touching herself. And Sam can't wear clothing without pockets to school because he has to sink his hands into SOMETHING. They are both special to me but regular to everyone else.

We learn through repetition so I can't really fault your girl :o) Tee hee. I wish my Mom had been more upfront with me about all that. I think you're on the right track.

Mwa said...

No need to delete anything. We have the same thing going with my three year old. She loves it all. And not always in private. I know how difficult the issue can be.

Steph(anie) said...

Thanks all. And for those of you who mentioned 5 and 3 year olds, we are really talking about an entirely different ballgame here.