Tuesday, July 5, 2011

weekend with good juju

We didn't see any fireworks on the 4th, but we did on Sunday and we were very close to them. Pictured is my mom's head and my daughter's head.

.::.

On Saturday, Dan and I actually managed to have a date night. Even better, we went to see a movie. IN A THEATER. In spite of the fact that THAT IS HOW AND WHERE WE MET, we don't make it to the theater very often. It was so nice to get out. We saw Larry Crowne which I enjoyed a great deal. Dan said it was funny too.

In the lobby of the theater, there was a vending machine with these little string dolls for a buck a piece. I cannot explain why, but I had to have a few of them. There is something very tactile and voodoo-doll-ish* and worry-doll-ish about them and well -- there's one for each of us.

front

They were spit out of the machine randomly, but each has been assigned to a person. Dan is all black with a read string wrapped around. This makes sense because he in some ways is the darkest of all of us (insofar as taste and likes -- and skin tone, too) and he has the greatest deal of physical pain.

Austin has a black body with an orange head because it reminded me of when he was a baby and I called him Tomato Head.

I am all green. I love green things from plants and trees to old glass bottles -- and I am boring enough to be monochromatic.

Maya has long blue hair, a blue head and a black body with a yellow shirt. This is remarkably appropriate for her occasionally odd sense of style and love of color.

*Dolls will only be used in efforts of love and good-will and will never endeavor toward ill-will.

back

.::.

These are apparently the Chinese knock-offs of the Kamibashi string dolls. If you have a few minutes you should look at those, I got a real kick out of them.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That's the coolest thing I ever saw that came out of a vending machine.

Mwa said...

Ooh, I think I would choose the black and blue one.

Petit fleur said...

They are funky!

Be sure to hide all the pins... just in case anyone has a passionate change of heart in the heat of a bad moment! :-D

Steph(anie) said...

No doubt :)

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I love the dolls, Steph. Glad you and Dan got a date night.

Love,

SB

All This Trouble... said...

Date. Dolls. Fire.

Can't get enough of that!