Friday, June 3, 2011

I should not be allowed on the Internet

I really don't know what is the matter with me, but I just cannot help myself. I somehow discovered Bitossi ceramics today and I think I have a new obsession.

This stuff was made in Italy in the mid 20th century. Apparently the designer for Bitossi that I really like is Aldo Londi who made these pieces with blue and turquoisy green glaze and stamped patterns. I have a bid pending on ebay for this round one, one of the few pieces in my price range.

Londi also created a line of animal figurines in this same style.

This rectangular vase literally brings a lump to my throat and the suggestion of tears to my eyes. What the hell is the matter with me? Why would pottery affect me so. Believe me, not all pottery does. But that color. And the patterns. I can't buy it right now, with Austin's birthday coming up. But damn if I'm not tempted.

There's more -- reproductions are still being made.

3 comments:

Petit fleur said...

It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing all your cool finds.

It could be that mysterious obsessions could stem from a past life or even something in our subconscious from this life. But regardless of that, there are definitely worse things to be obsessed with.

Nothing wrong with that.
xo

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I love the stuff, too. The pieces possess the most gorgeous coloring. It makes me happy just to look at them.

Maggie May said...

WOW. Blue is my favorite color.