Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I don't know why I'm even posting this

This may well be the stupidest question I've ever asked, but...

Why is it so easy to not spend money when I don't have it?

What I mean by that is, why am I so compelled to spend more than I should when I have it? We manage to survive the end of the month every month without spending dozens of dollars a day. Why can't I do that at the beginning of the month? Granted, some of that spending is what gets us through the end of the month. There's food in the freezer and laundry soap on the shelf. But some of the ways I (we) spend money are just not smart. Especially fast food. I get so disgusted with myself over that issue. But that can't be the only problem.

The cost of gas is becoming an issue these days, especially with the beast. But even that doesn't get driven very far. We have a small life, with my job less than 4 miles away from home, the gym right down the street (not that I've gone lately), shopping near by, kids' schools just down the road and around the corner. The only thing we drive far for at all is Dan's doctor appointments, and he has many. Oh wait, maybe that explains it. Co-pays and gas. Never mind.

But the fast food thing. That really has to stop.

5 comments:

Murr Brewster said...

Four miles from work! Could you bicycle? That might even cut into the fast food problem, and eliminate the gym money.

The second half of my career I finally started biking to work instead of driving (six miles) and EVERYTHING got better, including my mood.

Steph(anie) said...

You know Murr, I think about it. But there are a couple intersections between here and there where I would be taking my life in my hands. That's my excuse anyway. And technically, right now, it would have to be a tricycle, which I do have, because I can't ride a bike... hangs head in shame... http://unsweetmama.blogspot.com/2009/10/while-we-sharing.html
I think about trying again, and I should. I know.

Ms. Moon said...

Too bad you can't ride a bike part of the way, then chain it and walk. That way you'd get two kinds of workouts. But I know- I know- that just sounds ridiculous.

Petit fleur said...

One of my exes used to hate that the only real choice of road food was fast food junk... He was a vegan... a young, unprepared and therefore petulant vegan... but that really isn't the point. The POINT is, he came up with a great idea. Start a chain of healthy vegetarian take out restaurants as an option to all the Stucky's and Micky D, and BK and Wendy's and etc. He wanted to call it VEG- OUT. I always thought that was genius.

Seriously, good luck with your spending/saving. I am in the boat with you. :-)
xo

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I can't answer this. I am terrible with money. I could have been living large, and even bought a nice house, after my divorce over a year ago, but I pissed it all away and got in big credit card debt again.

I suck.