Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nickelodeon, I love you

Tonight I watched Nick News with Linda Ellerbee: Freedom to Believe... Or Not.

It was all about freedom of religion in the U.S. and featured interviews primarily with Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Agnostic and Atheist kids. There were stories about a Mosque in Tennessee that was going to be expanded and the way some citizens there protested it as well as a public school that had The Ten Commandments hanging on the wall for years before someone asked for them to be removed and the protests that followed by the Christian students that wanted them hung back up. There was an especially moving story about some kids that were part of an Interfaith group, and the things they learned from one another.

I was so moved by it all that my heart began to beat faster and I cried a little. It really was very meaningful to me and I think it would be good for everyone to watch, not just kids. They didn't talk much at all about Hinduism, Paganism, Buddhism and others outside of Abrahamic religions, but it was only a half hour show and I thought they did an excellent job. If you get a chance to watch it, let me know what you think about it.

1 comment:

Petit fleur said...

Sounds imaginative and all around groovy. I will check it out.

Thanks !
xo