Monday, April 4, 2011

I still need a catalpa

If there is a part of my body that is not sore, I can't hear it not complaining over the parts that are. I spent the weekend pulling weeds (didn't make a dent) and digging holes and planting trees and it was wonderful.

There is an Italian saying that translates to something like: You plant grapevines for your children. You plant olive trees for your grandchildren. This speaks to the slow-growing nature of olive trees. I now have one baby olive tree in the back. I'm not too worried about getting fruit from it, I just like olive trees. I also planted an avocado tree. Not sure who you plant those for. Maybe your second cousins.

The "baby" olive tree is about six feet tall and I managed to bring it home in my little Camry. Just imagine Mary Poppins pulling her floor lamp out of her carpet bag and you'll have a good idea of what it looked like when I was pulling that tree out of the trunk of my car.

After the holes were dug and the trees were planted and the hose was drug around, I decided on a whim to try and pull down a dead tree? large shrub? something that had been dead so long I don't know what it was. One by one, I pulled downward on the branches and the dry, brittle wood broke free. I made a pile just behind me and kept pulling and breaking off branches, being careful to close my eyes and turn my head as I pulled, lest I get a splinter in my eye. (Because obviously I wasn't wearing goggles. Or gloves.) As I worked my way down, I had to squat to get ahold of the thicker branches. As the last one broke free, I felt my weight tip too far back and I went down on my butt and rolled backwards onto my pile of branches. My back and hand are a little scratched up, but I'll live. Sorta dumb, really. Dan helped me up and looked at my back and all I could say was "it [where the tree was] looks better, huh?"

4 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

Sounds like my gardening habits. Especially the obsessing and falling.

I almost bought Mary Poppins for the kids yesterday at goodwill. But I settled on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I have an avocado tree I've nursed through the winter. Have no idea what to do with it. It won't last in the ground in Georgia. Maybe I can pot it.

Ms. Moon said...

My body is a map of yard-work incidents. Oh boy. I get this.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I'll bet where the damn tree was DOES look better. Sorry you took a spill, buddy. At least you went out and gotter done. Love you.

Mwa said...

I need to do some gardening. Even if I fall on my butt. Haven't been out there since last summer.