Monday, April 25, 2011

The Army

It's been like 3 weeks since I posted any music. That must be some kind of record here. I heart Ben Folds.

Speaking of the army... a recruiter/outreach type came to came to Austin's preschool sometime back. My initial reaction was something along the lines of WHAT THE FUCK? THEY'RE ONLY FOUR YEARS OLD! AND THE ARMY IS COMING TO THE SCHOOL?!? WHAT THE FUCK?

But. BUT. Austin was stoked. STOKED you hear me? They gave him this camo stretchy nylon thing that is supposed to be a book cover, but he was wearing it as a hat. And he kept saluting me (that's right kid, I am your superior officer -- for the time being). And I had to ask myself... what if he did want to enlist? I wouldn't be happy about it (not because I'm anti-military or anti-patriot or whatever but because I DON'T WANT MY BABY TO END UP DEAD). But if he wanted to? Am I the kind of mother that would try to talk him out of it? Worse yet (or better yet) am I the kind of mother that would just tell him NO you are NOT?

I don't think I am. I think I have to support him in what he wants to do. No matter how scary it is for me. I have friends with sons and sons-in-law in the service and I know they are proud of their boys, but I don't envy the worry and physical distance it adds to their relationships.

PS. This is not a possibility that ever occurred to me with Maya (just because she's a girl?), but it certainly is possible. Although she would have to get a lot better about getting her butt out of bed in the morning. I have my doubts.

PPS. AND I know that he is only four and just because he thought the soldier that came to his school was cool doesn't necessarily mean he will want to join 14 years from now. But I'm a mother; don't expect this to be logical.

No comments: