Friday, April 29, 2011

25 to life in Central Valley

HEARING ON MOTION RE: NEW TRIAL (GUILT PHASE)
THE COURT FINDS THAT THERE WAS SUFFICIENT EVIDENSE TO SUPPORT THE VERDICT AND THE VERDICT WAS NOT CONTRARY TO THE LAW. MOTION DENIED.

HEARING ON MOTION RE: NEW TRIAL (SANITY PHASE)
AFTER CAREFULLY REVIEWING AND WEIGHING ALL THE EVIDENCE THE COURT HEREBY FINDS THAT THE EVIDENCE PROVIDED TO THE JURY WAS NOT SUFFICIENT TO MOVE DEFENDANT INSANE AT THE TIME OF THE KILLING. THE VERDICT IN THE SANITY PHASE WAS REASONABLE AND NOT CONTRARY TO THE LAW. MOTION DENIED.

REPORT AND SENTENCING
SENTENCED TO STATE PRISON FOR A TOTAL INDETERMINATE SENTENCE OF 25 YEARS TO LIFE.
SHERIFF TO DELIVER DEFENDANT TO DIVISION OF ADULT INSTITUTIONS AT CHOWCHILLA

.::.

There's a bunch of stuff in the court minutes about fines that have to be paid too. I'm not too clear on that since I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any money, after being in jail for 2 years. Chowchilla is up in the Central Valley, about a 5 hour drive from these parts (I mention that just for perspective -- I don't plan on making that drive).

Another article here.

5 comments:

adrienne said...

i'm so sorry, steph. whatever grace might be offered me, i would gladly give lori. whatever peace may come to you both, i pray for it.

Ms. Moon said...

I wish I could say this will bring closure but I don't believe in closure.
But at least it's an end to the constant legal stuff.
Oh, Steph. I'm so sorry.

Mwa said...

That's all just too big for my words.

Hug to you.

Petit fleur said...

Sending hugs.
xo

Sarcastic Bastard said...

It's a shitty deal all the way around. Nobody wins.

You know I love you.