Monday, March 7, 2011

sur la table

Among the many many pieces of second hand furniture in my house is a table that my mom picked up about 10 years ago at a used furniture place in Lake Elsinore. She didn't need the table, but she wanted the parsons chairs that came with it. She's still using those chairs, too.

Anyway, this table has been driving me bananas because the top that was on it is just wretched. The legs and apron (or is it skirt?) are real nice solid pine, but the top was some kind of manufactured wood-like substance with a crackled paint treatment of some kind. It was fine for the first couple years. It's a good size and it certainly served its purpose and wasn't necessarily the ugliest piece of furniture I had ever owned. But after a certain someone who shall remain nameless, and has since passed away, moved in with us and started washing off the table by running a too-wet cloth across the planks instead of long-ways (yes I am crazy, why?) the moisture started to dissolve the fake-ass crappy wood. You can't tell in that picture, I'm sure, but trust me. Eventually (maybe after dozens of years) that entire table top would have eroded into nothingness one tiny particle at a time.

After months and years of discussion about what kind of wood, whether to make it a little bigger, what kind of finish, ad nauseum, we finally picked up some poplar boards and tung oil on Saturday. Dan took to sanding and sawing and screwing and whatever it is boys do with their toys. Tools, I mean tools.

The color isn't an exact match, but it's pretty good. And we could have stripped the legs and given them a new finish (still could). But I was sincerely trying to keep this process as simple as possible.

At press time, the top still isn't attached, but you get the idea. I won't know what to do with myself now with no hideous table top to bitch and moan about anymore. I'll have to find something else to bitch about I guess. :)

5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

NICE!
And believe me- you'll find something else to bitch about.

All This Trouble... said...

I'm a little jealous of that table but don't let my Capt. Kirk table hear it!

Also, you said tools and wood. Now I have a hankering to watch Beavis & Butthead.

Steph(anie) said...

Ms. Moon - I resemble that remark.

ATT - heh. heh. She said wood.
I'm more of a Daria fan, really.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I love it. It looks fabulous, dahling.

Ex-in-the-City said...

I love a project.
I had a friend make window boxes for me years ago. I planted geraniums in them. Turned out he made them out of particle board, and one day after I watered my flowers, the whole deal splatted to the pavement like an overripe watermelon.
Good riddance wretched tabletop.