Friday, February 4, 2011

day trippin

I was struck this morning at how my relief at being done with testifying in Lori's trial has morphed into a new wave of sadness. I was at the drive through getting a breakfast burrito for the road and I didn't realize I was on the verge of crying until I couldn't speak to place my order. My throat caught and I had to take a second and collect myself.

.::.

I had to drive out to the desert for a work thing today. The landscape change from here to there is subtle at first. The scrub brush gets less and less dense and then all of a sudden you run across sand dunes.

This sand bar had a row of dead trees in it. They may have burned in a fire, or it may have been some kind of disease.

I had the opportunity to see the back side of a mountain I spend everyday of my life looking at the front side of. I'm sure the lovely people of Palm Springs would argue with me as to which is the front side or back side, but this is my blog.

I always enjoy passing through the wind farms. At the right distance, when the blades are slowly turning, wind farms have a certain elegance to them.

Get a little closer though and you begin to see how pointy those blades are and if you get even closer, they almost look a little violent.

Disclaimer: Kids, DO NOT attempt to take photos while operating a motor vehicle at approximately 80 MPH. Do as I say.

And just an observation... 66° in the desert is not the same as 66° in the valley. The air must be thinner or something. More of the sun gets to your skin.

3 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

Oooooooohhhhhh..... you need to take more pictures like this! I've never been to Calfornia but I've always been fascinated by the wind farm thingies. I always called them windmills but a whole field WOULD need to be called a farm, wouldn't it!?!?

I'm sorry about the sadness. So very sorry.

Petit fleur said...

I loved this post. I don't know why, I just did.

You take pretty good photos! I would not have guessed you were driving and shooting! I hear it gets that way on the LA freeway, but not with cameras.
Hee hee.

I hope you have a glorious weekend. It's raining like a mo fo here.
xo

Darcy said...

i've driven that drive many many times! i also love love those windmills. so beautiful and different there...