Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Big D

I lifted this black and white aerial image of the 1955 Disneyland from our buddy DTG over at I've had dreams like that. (He lifted it from The Orange County Archives.)

I immediately had the reaction that all aging Californians do when looking upon an area that has changed over the years... See that area over there? It used to be all orange groves. And that over there? Used to be all strawberry fields.

And just for the hell of it, I went to my good friend Google Maps and got the modern day shot...

Two parks where there used to be one (Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure), three hotels, and parking as far as the eye can see. (The somewhat triangular shape in the b/w has become the somewhat round greenish shape in the upper center here.)

It's sort of remarkable how closely you can zoom in on the satellite shots. I will be right there in just a matter of days.

I suppose I should feel bad for contributing to such a thing, but I'm really just looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Mwa said...

Don't feel bad! That won't help anyone one bit. (I'm finally starting to realise that. Feeling bad is a way to punish yourself but it doesn't actually do anyone any good.) You may as well have a really really good time. Like really good.

michelle said...

oooh fun. have a great time. went to disney in florida 35 years ago and it really felt like a magic kingdom. i won't allow myself to take my kids now, but that's just me punishing myself as mwa says.

i probably should do it soon, no?

xoxoxo