Tuesday, January 4, 2011

This stupid SUV is making me sentimental

Despite their wretched gas mileage, I will admit to a certain affection for SUVs, especially Jeeps (Cherokees and Wranglers in particular). And for some reason right now it's making me all weepy for my childhood.

See, I spent a good bit of time playing pretend with a dollhouse very much like this one.

All the photos in this post are from various Ebay and Etsy listings for vintage Fisher Price Little People toys from the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Along with the house, I had the camping set. And I remember being very fond indeed of that Jeep.

Just look at that happy little family. In so many ways, that was a very happy time in my life (my mom and I lived with my beloved grandparents), but also very sad (it was around that time that I realized that my dad was supposed to be around, but wasn't). Damn. Who would think a new (used) car could make me all stupid.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

My kids had those little happy people. And Weebils, too. Remember them? Weebils wobble but they don't fall down.
Ah lah. Now you have me remembering.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

It's funny how easily the past rushes back on us. The damndest things trigger it. I had the same Fischer Price people. I particularly loved the barnyard set for some damn reason.

I love you, Steph. Happy New Year!

Steph(anie) said...

Ms. Moon - I don't think I ever had any Weebils, but I do remember that jingle or slogan or whatever.

SB - Stupid toys. Stupid past. :)

Mwa said...

Not stupid at all. My granny used to have little people like that around for us to play with. I want some now. Better stay off eBay...

All This Trouble... said...

I played with a set like this at daycare. Mom never would buy me one. Must have been to keep me wanting to go BACK to daycare. But the farm set? Ohhhhh, it was my favorite with the MMMOOOOOOOOO when you opened the door!

I had a Weeble punching bag guy. Helped me vent. Safer than an axe.

Petit fleur said...

Love you Steph.

You are not stupid.

xo