Friday, January 21, 2011

Sometimes, the universe is abundantly awful

I read the most horrible news story I have ever read a couple days ago, and I wasn't going to post anything about it here, but I have been kind of amazed that the stupid woman who fell into a mall fountain while texting has been all over the news, but this story hasn't gotten much play (that I've seen).

This horrible story I am referring to is about a so-called doctor who did so-called abortions in Philadelphia. What this man did was almost nothing like an abortion. He would induce labor of live, late term babies and kill them.

This is the (moderately graphic) article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110119/ap_on_re_us/us_abortion_clinic_investigation

I'm not sure what it says about me, but after reading that article, I assumed that man was white (because he was preying on minorities). But based on the photo in another article, I was mistaken: http://www.smh.com.au/world/kermit-the-killer-doctor-accused-of-eight-murders-in-house-of-horrors-20110120-19xj6.html

So, I'm sorry (in a way) for sharing this, but I found myself not posting anything in trying not to post this. This, along with stories about hundreds of deaths in mudslides in Brazil and other heart wrenching events, makes me wonder (sometimes) if all those end-times believers aren't on to something.

But the world isn't any different than it's always been. And with the Internet and TV, these things are all up in our faces (except when they're not, in favor of the most recent Bachelor scandal or whatever similar nonsense).

I'm not sure what my point is with any of this, I was just blown away by it all. And I said the other day that I didn't know what the word evil meant anymore, but I do believe I've been reminded.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Yeah. There are always signs of the "endtimes." Wars and rumors of wars and unbelievable things happening, both man-made and man-suffered.
I don't know. I just don't know anything any more, Steph.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I read about this, too. Jesus. That's all I have to say. That's the sum total of my wisdom about most things.

Love you.

All This Trouble... said...

Joe has squashed a lot of my news reading. I'd stay up reading horrible stuff and then complain I couldn't rest or I was frightened or unnerved. He gives me a hard time about sabotaging my own sense of wellbeing.

I WILL say there is an awareness about this crime that is much different than a singular crime committed during an event or episode of great stress. The evil is in the awareness of what is right and the action of doing wrong anyway to benefit oneself. For example, I COULD say this man needs to have HIS feet severed and pickled in a jar but that would only make me feel better and that is wrong. Wait... I think I messed that up :-)

Mwa said...

I feel so uneasy about all the news too. Makes me want to have lots and lots of beer.