Monday, January 24, 2011

halfway point

I said I wouldn't write about Lori's trial anymore, but I guess I just meant I wouldn't get into the more unpleasant details. They're all unpleasant, but anyway. I don't know if this is how they do it every time someone pleads not guilty by reason of insanity, but there must be some consistency to it.

Basically, there are two trials, the first to determine guilt or no, then if found guilty, the second to determine insanity or no. Essentially, they don't care if you're insane if you didn't do it, so first things first.

Last week the jury found Lori guilty of both first degree murder (a key factor here is premeditation, if I understand correctly) and the (lesser) charge of assault on a child resulting in injury or death.

So, now they move on to the sanity phase of the trial. Here's an article: http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_D_burchett22.c4e3a1.html

4 comments:

Petit fleur said...

Wow. That was a very fast trial.

I'm here, taking the journey as much as is possible with you. I do care about what happens to her and the future of what family she has left.

Peace & love,
pf

Steph(anie) said...

Yeah, almost 2 years to get going, and then only 3 days or so of testimony. It's not like there were any other suspects.

And for the small world story of the day, another friend of mine was interviewed to be on the jury, but was released to sit on another trial.

michelle said...

Aye aye aye, Steph

xoxoxo

Petit fleur said...

I hope you will not be called to testify.

I'm praying for this all to have some kind of reasonable outcome for the family. I'm praying also that you are finding your way to some how make peace with it all or at least lay it to rest. I can't imagine how hard that is.

Bless you Steph,
pf