Wednesday, January 26, 2011

another loss

My stepdad’s mother died last night. Note, this is not my grandmama that I have written about a few times here. Grandmama is my mom’s mom. I don’t think I’ve ever written about my stepdad’s mom. We’ll call her E from here on out.

I’ve never written about E because even though she just died last night, she really hasn’t been alive for a long time. She started the slow and miserable descent of Alzheimer’s at least 10 years ago, and has been essentially bedridden with Parkinson’s for the last couple-three years. I don’t have a lot of experience with death, but I think it’s safe to say that the way she went was one of the more slow and drawn out ways to do it. She really didn’t recognize anyone but her son by the end, and we really don’t know if she recognized him, or just responded in some reflexive way to the sound of his voice.

It’s a strange thing, that when it’s been “just a matter of time” for so long, that it still hits hard when it happens. This will be quite a life shift for my stepdad, his sister and her son.

4 comments:

michelle said...

aye aye aye steph

it's all too much

xoxoxo

Petit fleur said...

I'm sorry Steph... My grandma had this disease also. I understand how devastating it is.

Hang in there.
xo

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I'm so sorry. Death is always a shock to the system when it happens.

Love you so.

Mwa said...

We had a couple of my grandparents go like that in the last few years. It's awful. I wish you strength.