Tuesday, December 28, 2010

sense of accomplishment

I finished something today. I feel like I haven't been able to say that in a hundred years.

It's a quilt. Some back story... (yes, a quilt can have back story). Earlier this year, I bought some bamboo furniture that didn't have any cushions (see here). The cushions I eventually got for the love seat and chair were actually floor cushions from Cost Plus World Market. They are covered in this sort of teal, all-over circular pattern (see here). Not too long after that, I found some Indian Cotton Bedspread Thingies that had that same freaking pattern. No kidding. I was totally stoked. What can I say, I'm easily pleased.

Now, if you're not familiar with Indian Cotton Bedspread Thingies (and who is?) they are hand block printed or batiked or sometimes tie-dyed and can be used as wall-hangings, tablecloths... really, the sky's the limit. But they are usually referred to as bedspreads, which is a stretch because they are just a single layer of cotton -- slightly thicker than a sheet. I usually use them as wall-hangings, usually over beds (see here and here). Anyway, I got one twin size one to use as a tablecloth and liked it so much I thought I'd get two more. (I set up three tables for Thanksgiving and Easter, so that would give me three matching tablecloths.)

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying much attention when I ordered numbers 2 and 3 and I got full size instead of twin size. I spent about a day being upset with myself because the full size ones really are just too big to use on my tables... don't question it, I'm crazy and it would have bothered me, and I didn't want to bother with sending them back. But then it occurred to me that I could use the two full size ones as the front and back of a quilt to use on the futon that would match the bamboo furniture! So I got some cotton batting to fill the quilt and put the Indian Cotton Bedspread Thingies and the batting in a box. Where they sat. For months.

The day after Christmas I decided to get my ass in gear and I went up to my mom's house to sew. (My machine is posessed by my dead neighbor.) I assembled the front, back and batting on Sunday, and today I went back to do the quilting. Holy shit! A project, actually finished.

So here it is, draped over the back of the futon, ready to be used by either an overnight guest or a chilly kid (or mama) while watching TV.

Oh, and that chair (center frame) is a kid sized chair that I found at an antique shop yesterday when I went out with my mom. We hadn't been out just the two of us since her birthday in February and we had such a nice time!

And speaking of crazy, I cleaned off the coffee table (yet another craigslist find) just to take that picture and now it looks completely unnatural. Usually there is a train set or a pile of books or dirty socks and god only knows what else on that table and I am having to resist the urge to stage the table as "normal" and take the picture again. Crazy.

5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Excellent job! Cozy house.

Petit fleur said...

Congrats you!! It's lovely.

All This Trouble... said...

I LOVE IT! And I'm so impressed.

adrienne said...

oh, i've been impressed for a while. miss you.

xo

Mwa said...

I like your brand of crazy.

And good quilt by the way! I'm so impressed.