Thursday, December 2, 2010

doing it my way

I’ve been trying to figure out how to NOT crap all over my kids’ Christmas, ‘cause I’m just SO not in the mood. I pretty much bit Maya’s head off the other night for trying to turn my car radio so she could listen to Christmas music so, yeah…

So I’m trying to remember what I like about this time of year.

First, it’s the lights. String lights are so lovely and we have a tradition of decking our house out in lights pretty damn well, I think. And on Christmas Eve night we drive around town admiring all the wonderful light displays, especially in the richer neighborhoods.

The tree thing is pretty good too. If memory serves, that actually comes from pagan traditions, so even better as far as I’m concerned. If not, whatever. I like trees. This year I want to get a potted one and plant it outside after the holidays are over.

Buying stuff and spending money is pretty much tops on my list the rest of the year, and this time of year I have an excuse! I am trying to find some balance here though because we really do have too much stuff already, all of us. So we’re focusing on a few things the kids really want, not just buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff. I’ve already bought for my parents and a couple work people, so there’s really not much left to do… I think.

And this is no small thing… I actually LIKE to spend time with my family. My aunts and uncles and cousins are some of the funniest people I know. My grandparents are treasures to me in ways I don’t have words to describe. My kids make me crazy sometimes, but mostly they make me happy. Same goes for Dan.

Then there's the laughing and drinking. Who doesn’t like that? And a week off from work!

So that just leaves the music and religious stuff to contend with. (If I am brutally honest, I’m just not a Christian. But I am surrounded by them, not the least of which is my daughter.) So I just better suck it up and deal. For Maya’s sake if nothing else.

.::.

The other night there was a Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special on TV. Kung Fu Panda is one of my favorite movies… what can I say, I like cartoons. And pandas. Anyway, I was skeptical about it because I don’t think they celebrate Christmas in China, for the most part, so I was curious how they were going to approach this in a holiday special intended for American kids. I was very pleased that the special centered around a Winter Feast with traditions like sun lanturns. I have less than no idea how accurate it was in terms of actual Chinese customs, but it did remind me that many cultures have winter time celebrations, and that I can participate in “Christmas” stuff in a way that works for me.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

The main thing I like about Christmas is my Goodwill Bad Santa. Can I build a holiday from that?

Mwa said...

Hurray for making it work for you! That's exactly what I do, and it's made me relax about it. I do NOT do unspeakable things to a turkey, but other people are free to have a go.