Saturday, November 27, 2010

on cracking up and going to pieces

We are "this close" to having my mother-in-law's place completely empty. Just a couple more things to pick up and some cleaning that we're paying someone else to do. That feels a little silly, to pay someone to clean a small empty place, but not so much so that I'm insisting on doing it myself. Between Maya's birthday and Sylvia's funeral and Thanksgiving, my ass is worn out.

It's been more emotional for me than I expected it to be in her place with her things, and I'll be glad when it's done. I did have a good laugh today though. We had an estate type sale and there was a surprisingly good turnout considering this is a huge retail weekend. After the last of the chairs was sold there was nowhere to sit but on a little TV stand. It stood up okay to my weight, but when Austin sat on my lap, our combined weight was too much. It buckled and broke all to pieces. My pants got terribly torn in the process (which was very upsetting to me because I don't ever have enough clothes) and I got a nasty bruise on my side. But the sight of that fake wood piece of crap flat on the floor cracked me up for some reason. I kept telling Austin, "Daddy's going to kill me." And then I would laugh some more.

7 comments:

michelle said...

A good laugh always helps when things kinda suck.

xoxoxo

All This Trouble... said...

Laughing always helps me feel better. That and alcohol. And sex.

Ms. Moon said...

The final straw?

Petit fleur said...

I can picture you laughing and muttering like a mad woman looking around at the fake wood piece of crap comedy relief and then at Austin.

I hope you both don't have any lasting hurties though. That part, not so funny.

Hang in there.
xoxo pf

Mwa said...

Laughter and death somehow must go together. All is not right until you've laughed.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Glad you were okay, babe. If it had been me, I'd have laughed too. You betcha.

Maggie May said...

those last things to finish are hard. laughter is natural. so are hugs oooooooo