Monday, October 25, 2010

literal and figurative pains

This weekend kicked my ass, and not in a good way. Austin was testing the limits of my patience at every turn, and by Sunday morning I was so angry I was getting white flashes in my peripheral vision. He had let the dogs out of the dog run while I was hollering at him, “no, don’t do it Austin, don’t let them out!” The problem with letting them out right then was that the big driveway gate was open and the dogs immediately exploited that fact and took off to torment the all the other neighborhood dogs and their owners by way of the raucous barking they inspired. I sent Maya to my mom’s (she was headed there soon anyway) and I told Austin to get some shoes and get in the car so we could go chase down the dogs. Of course one of the dogs, Callie, has a wild streak a mile wide and didn’t want to come home thankyouverymuch. By the time everyone was home and tucked away safely I had to go lie down in a quiet room for a few minutes to avoid beating some ass. Then Austin apologized and let me kiss his little face.

Friday night we went out to dinner with my parents, grandparents and one of my cousins. Near the end of dinner, Grandpa had to excuse himself and go sit in the car; he was in so much pain. Grandma walked him out and I followed a few paces behind to make sure everything was okay. But when I got to their car I felt I had invaded his space because his eyes were full of tears and I know he doesn’t like to be seen that way. I saw them again on Saturday and he seemed a bit better, but he looked tired. He will be 92 in January. I hate for him to feel badly all the time. He’s been more of a father to me than my “real” dad my whole life.

.::.

This song.

6 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

I can relate to the kid-induced "almost" stack blowing. All those lovely photos of our fall fun this weekend were not without a price. Why is everything "fun" held in the evening when kids (and parents) are the least prepared to cope?

I'm so sorry about your grandpa. I can't imagine what a 92 yr old body feels like from the inside out. Bless his bones.

Petit fleur said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. It is sad when life makes us live longer than our bodies are meant to.

Oh Austin sound like he is cut from the same cloth as Harley. The Rapscallion cloth! The cloth of doom, the cloth of danger, the cloth of mommy insanity! Thank GOD I don't have dogs... That sounds very frustrating.

Hope the week is more relaxing than your weekend :-)
xo

Mwa said...

Oh you must just want to hide in your bed. I hope today's better.

michelle said...

Sorry about your Grandpa. People shouldn't have to be in that kind of pain

xoxoxo

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I hope that your Grandpa gets to feeling better.

Bethany said...

i can't listen to the song because i'm at work, but i'm sorry about your grandpa, and i'm glad you got the dogs back. i hate when they escape like that!