Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not that I would, even if I could.

I've been a fan of the Barcelona Chair ever since the first time I picked up a copy of a Design Within Reach catalog in a waiting room somewhere.

Of course about 30 seconds after that, I picked my jaw up off the floor. $5,000 USD for a chair?! You have GOT to be shitting me.

But I never forgot that chair. It spoke to me for some reason.

Anyway, flash forward a few years, and look instead to VivaTerra. There are a small handful of items in their catalog that I have lusted after for some time now (these bowls and this quilt), but again, a bit spendy for me. But this... this grabbed me by the cheeks and held my gaze.

The Butaca Chair. Somewhat more affordable at $1,350 USD (laugh) and much more earthy than the original.

Relax in our updated, upholstered version of the Mexican Butaca, a hand-built chair inspired by the classic Spanish Barcelona® chair. We offer ours built entirely from FSC-certified machiche, a tropical Guatemalan hardwood, with well-padded cushions upholstered in either reclaimed jute coffee sacks or organic color-grown cotton fabric in natural. Please allow up to 3 weeks for delivery. See special shipping info. Note: Chair is upholstered in vintage coffee sacks and the print and the color of the print will vary. 30"W x 34"L x 33"H.

Sigh. I do like it an awful lot. And yes, with the coffee sacks, please.

.::.

Hardly compares to my $30 second-hand bamboo chair and love seat. I did finally get good cushions for them.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

That is a handsome chair. But can you imagine spending that much money on a chair?

Steph(anie) said...

No. Not really.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Wish I could buy the chairs for you, Steph.

Hope you have a nice, relaxing long weekend.

Love,

SB

Steph(anie) said...

SB - one of my coworkers was saying how quickly this "long" weekend was going to go by. I told him to quit pooping all over everything.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Steph,
You can say that again, babe.

All This Trouble... said...

What? You mean you can't go out in the back with a fallen tree and a lathe (or something) and whip a few of these jokers out? Maybe that's why they cost so much? Know how?

That being said, who on Earth would EVER buy one of these chairs for $5,000????!!!!