Friday, September 24, 2010

Meg 2010

I don’t suppose the California gubernatorial race is big news outside of California. (Shit I don’t know, maybe it is.) But if you don’t know, Meg Whitman, former CEO of eBay, is running for governor of California. She is running against a man who was governor several years ago and who has been generally vilified over the years, but that’s not my point. This is one of those races where I’m not exactly crazy about either option.

Meg has this commercial. It’s the kind of commercial that makes you yell at the television set. I tried to find it on YouTube, but didn’t. I tried to find it on her website, but was afraid to stay there too long. Anyway, in this commercial, a Hispanic man – an entrepreneur himself, is talking about how he used eBay to grow his business and how wonderfully it has all worked out. The commercial ends with the sound bite… “My name is … and I’m a Meg Whitman success story.”

Which, you know… awesome. I love the Internet and eBay (and craigslist and Etsy, oh, how I love Etsy) and I am happy for the small businesses that flourish using these tools. But that does not necessarily mean the CEOs of any or all of these companies are qualified to be governor of this enormous and diverse state! Am I right?!

NEVER MIND that we're talking about a state that has elected more than one actor to this office. God help us.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

And she's spent more money on her campaign that any candidate in history, hasn't she? At least for governor?

Steph(anie) said...

I believe that's the case. And you gotta wonder what she's really up to.

Petit fleur said...

What you say about this Meg person is kind of spooky, but really, she has GOT to have more qualifications than Arnold!

Anyway, good luck. I know what it feels like to feel as though you have no real choice.
Peace.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I'm with you, Steph. I am sort of sick of both parties currently, to be honest. I am so tired of having to vote for a lesser of two evils.

Mwa said...

So is Arnie not running again then?

Steph(anie) said...

I think it's a term limit thing with Arnie.