Monday, August 16, 2010

August 16, 2010

Mother Nature hit the snooze button two months ago and then shot out of bed this morning swearing up a storm. Shit fuck goddamnitall. It’s supposed to be summer in Southern California and I overslept. Gotta get to work!

And suddenly she’s making up for lost time. That is to say: It’s fucking HOT out. And just in time for the first day of school.

.::.

New developments in the GAWden include:

We have a winner! The first of the wisterias planted last year reached the top of the patio cover! I am unreasonably happy about this. Shade coming soon to a patio near you.

The green! Like my extra fancy ties holding up the vines? They be cut up target bags. I think if you could sit here quietly for about an hour, you might actually see the wisteria growing.

The loquat so generously gifted me by a coworker is in the ground. Happily so far.

A Chinese Flowering Banana. I really wanted this up against the house on the south side, but the man at the nursery said the heat in the summer might be an issue. Poor baby needs shade. So it got exiled to the north 40, nestled under the neighbor's mini-forest. That neighbor is one of a small handful in the neighborhood who is trying to sell their property. I have visions of buying them all up and relocating my grandparents and cousins here. Apparently 2 houses, 10 acres, and me my kids and parents doesn't add up to enough of a family compound for me.

Since I couldn't put the banana against the house, I got a (cheaper) bird of paradise which allegedly wants the full sun (we'll see about the heat).

This sorry looking shot is shown as a point of comparison for when these few plants get filled in and added to and really green up this side of the house in a year or so.

6 comments:

Maggie May said...

i'm so excited for you! what a great feeling to be growing designs you can see clearly in your mind's eye.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

The kids look cute.

Ms. Moon said...

Can I just tell you that in five years that wisteria will bring the trellis DOWN?

Steph(anie) said...

Maggie May - Slowly. It will get there.

SB - Thank ya

Ms Moon - Dan and I went round about that patio cover specifically because I wanted wisteria. We looked into alumawood, but I knew the vines would crush it. And he wanted to paint it, but I didn't want to repaint it in a few years when it started to chip and have to work around the wisteria. The patio is a good size, so hopefully we have a few years before the vines start attacking the roof shingles.

But, damn I love those things.

Petit fleur said...

Very funny!

The plants will adorn the side of your house beautifully.

If the wisteria starts getting out of control, cut it back while you still can... At least, I think that can be done...?

Steph(anie) said...

PF - I'll have to get a wide shot of that patio. We have lots of room before that wisteria is any trouble.