Thursday, July 22, 2010

straw bale house

Has it become painfully obvious yet that I am a wee bit obsessed with houses? Ready for more?

This house was featured in the magazine Real Simple about a thousand years ago. I was so infatuated with that issue that it disintegrated. I poured over the pictures of this house for hours at a time.

Are we all familiar with straw bale construction? There is no may or may not be wood framing (for the exterior walls). No modern, fabricated insulation materials. They stack straw bales, reinforce them with rebar posts, and stucco the surface.

The thick assemblage of straw makes for excellent insulation and comfortable temps inside. Absolutely fascinating, as far as I'm concerned.

Aside from having such a cool (literally, heh) method of construction, I thought this house had a great layout. Big, open living space. Open kitchen. Built in bookshelves. Clerestory windows. Sliding bedroom doors (a sliding wall even). Exterior shower door (like you can get in and out of the shower from the outside). Indoor/outdoor fireplace. Wide overhangs. Swoon, swoon, swoon.

A couple more photos can be found at the link below (and you might be able to buy the plans too):

http://www.healthyhomeplans.com/home_plans/home_plan_detail.php?plan_id=44&start=11

4 comments:

Mwa said...

My husband has the same fetish.

All This Trouble... said...

Keep 'em coming! I love it!!!

Petit fleur said...

Sweet.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I find alternative housing interesting, too. I like your trend here, Steph.

Hope you have a grand weekend!