Monday, July 26, 2010

just don't tell me I'm overreacting

Sometime back, I went all bonkers when a gopher killed my beloved Mexican seedless lime tree and I bought several very beautiful, but very poisonous plants.

Oleander is planted with great frequency in this part of the world. I doubt you could go more than a block in most neighborhoods without seeing one or twelve of the things.

It is very often planted alternating white and red or dark pink plants. I don't care for the effect of this particular style. A bit too candy cane-ish for me.

I bought several (seven, but only planted six) white plants and stuck them in the ground, creating a border along the front fence, between us and a fairly busy, but still unfortunately, dirt road.

I really like white flowers. They're like sophisticated or some shit. Cool and clean and lovely and WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT???

That is a goddamned dark pink motherfucking oleader. How the fuck did that happen?

Seriously. Me? Not happy. I mean, I'm not like a white oleander suprem@cist or anything like that. I just like what I like. And I freaking bought white oleander for the fenceline. Many of them already had tiny blossoms on them and it was easy to tell. But with others I had to rely on those lovely little tags the nice garden center people put on. And! The fact that the white ones (and the dark pink ones, as it turns out) are larger than the salmon ones I bought for the side of the house.

Ahhh, see? Pretty salmon oleander. A light pink (not white) for against the light yellow house. I don't have to have all white. But that dark pink son-of-a-bitch just don't look right.

Uggh.

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

We grow a lot of oleanders in Florida and I love ALL the colors.

Steph(anie) said...

It's actually a very pretty color, I was just going for a particular look out at the street. I'll probably just move the thing.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I dig the salmon ones. Also, I like your creative use of profanity in this post.

All This Trouble... said...

I'm with you. That pink is shocking! SHOCKING! Someone might drive off in the ditch due to it's immensity in pinkish power.

Steph(anie) said...

SB - Salmon oleander and profanity can tip the scales toward good on a day.

ATT - I KNOW! and then where will we be! Besides, you know, fishing them out of the ditch.

Mwa said...

I love that pink oleander. I'd probably have all dark pink ones. I'm NOT subtle.

But it would be a pain in the arse to get another colour from the one you want.

Petit fleur said...

What about the gophers? Did I miss something? L-P

Steph(anie) said...

Well, now you all know how anal I can be when I want to. Matchy-matchy!

PF - Gophers, squirrels and rabbits all run rampant around here. I've never killed one (my step dad does though) but they have killed MANY plants of mine. So I try to find things they won't eat. If the know what's good for them, they won't eat oleander.

Bethany said...

SOBs, I getcha.
Man....
Love the white.
YOu made me laugh with the cartoon!