Tuesday, July 20, 2010

container house

While we're on the subject of unique houses... I remember when I first heard of someone building a cargo container house. It was a featured story on the evening news on one of the LA TV stations. Well, some very creative people have been very busy the last few years. There is a lot of variety out there. Just Google cargo container houses. Here are a few.

Some are BIG.

Some are modest.

Some get stacked up for apartments. (I think this is in London.)

And some are marketed as dormitories. (Okay, this one's just creepy. All that sameness spread out like that.)

And for the treehouse lovers out there...

Holy shit. Too precarious for me.

Now I'll let you know... I have a cargo container in my backyard. We bought it for storage when we moved into this house, knowing that we wouldn't be able to afford to build a garage anytime soon. (It's been six years so far. Still no garage.)

Well, I have big ideas for that cargo container. I'm thinking we need to get rid of all that crap in there that we don't use anyway and fix ourselves up a little guest house. Emptying it will be a lot of work, but I think we could finish up the inside pretty reasonably. The trick will be keeping the city out of it. You wouldn't believe the crap you have to go through in this neck of the woods to do what you want with your own property. Fuckers. Anyway. It will have to remain modular. Not permanently connected to the septic tank or water or electricity or anything like that. I'm thinking solar panels wouldn't be out of the question. Self-contained toilet. Maybe even a living roof (or not, that might lead to leaks). The possibilities are too fun to think about. Just today I found a FREE sliding glass door on craigslist. I'm still waiting to hear back from the lady, so keep your fingers crossed for me. If I can get the door used, that will save me a couple-few hundred dollars. And then there's the recycled vinyl flooring. And, and, and...

8 comments:

May said...

Ohmygodohmygod! I am so incredibly envious that you have an empty cargo container in your backyard. What a fun project! It could be a "room of ones own" for you.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

The fuckers comment made me laugh. Goddamn bureaucracy straight to hell!

Good luck with getting the door.

Ms. Moon said...

Sounds like an excellent project. Take it slow, have fun. Then- BAZOOM! You have a ROOM!

All This Trouble... said...

I have a friend with a yurt catalog for my perusal. I'll check this out, too! I need a woman den. Those dorms make me think of Malvina Reynolds and her ticky-tacky. And I'm afraid my adventurous spirit wouldn't help in the tree house. Scary!


(It only too about eight visits to finally leave my comment. Sheesh. Kids!)

Container Homes said...

Iconic shipping container homes - If your readers are interested in building their own container home or even just exercising their imagination we have released a special 3D Shipping Container Home Design Software program, there is a basic version free for your readers at http://www.containerhome.info

Maggie May said...

i think i'm too chicken to live in a tree house

michelle said...

I'm inspired. I totally agree with May and Trouble. Sounds like a perfect Stephcrib. Oooh the possibilities...

Mwa said...

That's a GREAT idea! And anything you haven't used for six years can go out anyway. I, too, am very excited about this. I think we need before and after pictures.