Wednesday, July 28, 2010

anal-retentives anonymous

After my last post, I felt I had exposed myself as the anal-retentive psycho that I am. So much so that I googled anal to make sure I spelled it right. (I am also a terrible speller.) By the way, NEVER google anal. Google thinks I am a dirty girl.

Anyway, I came across a post with the following list:

Top 5 signs you are anal-retentive (parenthetical comments are mine)

  1. You keep large redundant amounts of all your sundries such as laundry detergent so that you never risk running out. (Getting paid once a month lends itself to this behavior.)
  2. You don’t just sort the money in your wallet by $1, $5, $10, or $20, but also sort the bills by wear-and-tear so that you get rid of the bills in the worst shape first. (Duh. Ratty bills gotta go.)
  3. You look up anal-retentive to see whether it needs a hyphen. (Or how to spell it.)
  4. You don’t just keep a grocery list, you micro-optimize order of the items on the grocery list so that you only make one pass through the grocery store. (Okay, this is just smart. I do most of my grocery shopping at Costco and Super Target, both of which are large stores. I don't want to backtrack.)
  5. After a power outage or when Daylight Savings Time starts or ends, you feel the need to set all your clocks to the same minute and second. (Actually, I tend to add a minute to the last one I did thinking it will take me that long to get through the hours and minutes.)
  6. It really irritates you when someone says a list has 5 items and you count six. (No, it really irritates me when someone tells me something is on the right or left and at 32 years of age, I still have to pause and think about which is my right.)

And in what ways are you anal-retentive? Or are you at all?

9 comments:

All This Trouble... said...

You've written anal retentive and anal-retentive. I need to know whether it has a hyphen or not. It's very important to me to know for sure.

And you seem okay to me. I don't see a problem.

Steph(anie) said...

I fixed it! Oh lordy...

Ms. Moon said...

I cannot begin to cook with dirty dishes in the kitchen and I cannot go to bed until they are all clean either.

Mwa said...

And I thought I was bad!

I'm bad with the spelling - always looking things up and worrying if I have got it wrong.

Steph(anie) said...

Ms. Moon - I was just thinking of you this morning when I was washing pots and pans from the last several days before going to work. I remembered you saying you couldn't face that in the morning.

Mwa - I need that t-shirt that says "hookt on fonics werkt fer me," or something to that effect.

Petit fleur said...

You make me smile, so I care not if you are a trifle anal.

I am more obsessive than anal... I think... I have a thing about making sure the coffee pot and the stove are OFF! Does that count?

I love the word parenthetical. Grooooovy baby!

Steph(anie) said...

An old boss introduced me to that word and it stuck with me...

And I think you're right about obsessive vs. anal. But also safe!

Sarcastic Bastard said...

According to your list, I am semi-anal retentive. I also have mild OCD. I'm a damn mess.

Petit fleur said...

Hi SB. WE love you insane. It's what makes you, you!
xo pf