Tuesday, June 22, 2010

To whom it may concern

You know how language belongs to all of us, and changes occur gradually with general use over time? I have a proposal for your consideration and I would appreciate your support. We need to change the name of the letter W.

This is already happening on a sort of grassroots level in the professional internet 'biz'. Nobody wants to say double-u-double-u-double-u, a thousand times a day when referring to web site addresses. It’s a mouthful! We (the professionals) almost all say dub-dub-dub. I wasn’t the first person to think of it. In fact the first time I heard it said in a webinar, light bulbs and whistles went off in my head and I stopped listening to the presentation. I thought it was fucking brilliant! No, I didn’t think of it; but I do want to actively support this movement.

W (currently generally pronounced double-u) is the ONLY letter in the English alphabet whose name has more than one syllable. This is an unnecessary waste of [my] time. If we could agree to pronounce W as dub even in general use it would benefit us all.

Granted, we would have to rework the Alphabet Song just a little, but I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Sincerely,
Steph(anie)
Blogger, Unsweet Mama, by night, college webmaster by day.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

After GW Bush, I can hardly stand to say "double-u" at all anyway. Here in the south we tend to say "dubya" which is one syllable shorter than "double-u" anyway.

All This Trouble... said...

Crap. Ms. Moon left my comment. "Dub-ya" is how the southerners do it. When my husband worked in radio and tv that was something they really had to watch on air. Anyway, "dub" is fine with me. Let's do it!

Mwa said...

Clever! I'm in.

Bethany said...

genious. I'm in too.
Dub dub dub.